3 Very Scary No Signal Deep Woods Horror Stories



"Run or Die":

I wasn't supposed to leave the trail.

I had gone into the forest for a short hike. Nothing extreme. I had food in my backpack, two bottles of water, a small first-aid kit, a flashlight, a lighter, and my phone.

I had been hiking for about three hours when I stopped beside a narrow creek.

The forest was quiet.

Almost completely quiet.

I knelt down to fill my water bottle when I heard a bark.

I froze.

Another bark came from somewhere behind me.

Then another.

I slowly stood up.

About fifty yards away, between the trees, I saw a dog.

It was thin and dirty, with its ribs visible beneath its fur.

Then another one stepped out.

Then another.

There were at least six.

They weren't behaving like normal dogs.

They weren't barking at each other.

They were watching me.

I remembered something I'd read about aggressive wild dogs: don't run unless you absolutely have to.

So I slowly backed away.

One of the dogs lowered its head.

It growled.

Then everything happened at once.

The entire pack charged.

I ran.

I didn't think.

I didn't look back.

I just ran.

Branches slapped against my face as I crashed through the forest. My backpack caught on a branch and nearly pulled me backward. I ripped it free and kept going.

Behind me, I could hear barking.

Fast.

Getting closer.

I jumped over a fallen tree and nearly fell.

The barking suddenly became louder.

I looked over my shoulder.

One of the dogs was only about twenty yards behind me.

I ran harder.

My lungs burned.

My legs were shaking.

I pushed through a wall of bushes and suddenly fell down a muddy slope.

I landed hard on my side.

For several seconds, I couldn't breathe.

The barking continued above me.

I stayed completely still.

Then I heard the dogs moving around the top of the slope.

One barked.

Another answered.

I pressed myself against the mud and waited.

Eventually, the sounds faded.

I stayed there for another ten minutes before I dared to move.

When I finally stood up, I realized something terrible.

I had no idea where I was.

I pulled out my phone.

No signal.

I opened the map.

The GPS showed my location, but there was no trail nearby.

I had run so far off the path that I didn't recognize anything.

I tried calling emergency services.

Nothing.

I tried sending a message.

Nothing.

Battery: 34%.

I put the phone away.

The sun was already getting low.

I decided to climb higher ground and try to find the trail.

That decision made everything worse.

I walked for nearly an hour.

Every tree looked identical.

Every hill looked familiar.

Eventually, I realized I had been walking in a large circle.

I stopped.

The forest around me was becoming dark.

I knew I had to make shelter.

I found a large fallen tree and crawled underneath the branches. I used smaller branches and leaves to block the wind.

Then I started a fire.

My hands were shaking so badly that it took three attempts.

When the flames finally appeared, I felt an enormous sense of relief.

For the first time since the dogs appeared, I felt like I had some control.

Then I heard something in the distance.

Barking.

I stopped breathing.

Another bark.

Then another.

The pack was somewhere in the forest.

I sat beside the fire holding my knife.

I knew a knife wouldn't help much against six animals.

But holding it made me feel less helpless.

The barking slowly disappeared.

Night fell completely.

The forest became impossibly dark.

Every few minutes, something moved in the bushes.

Sometimes it was small.

Sometimes it sounded heavy.

Once, I heard something walking directly behind my shelter.

Crunch.

Pause.

Crunch.

I held my breath.

The footsteps stopped.

I stared into the darkness.

Nothing.

Then suddenly something crashed through the bushes.

I nearly screamed.

A large animal ran past the fire and disappeared into the trees.

I never saw exactly what it was.

I didn't sleep that night.

At sunrise, I checked my supplies.

One bottle of water remained.

I had some food, but not enough for more than a day.

My phone battery was down to 17%.

I decided to follow the creek.

Water had to lead somewhere.

I walked for hours.

My ankle started hurting from the fall.

Then, around midday, I noticed something strange.

Footprints.

Human footprints.

They were fresh.

I followed them.

After several minutes, I found an old campsite.

There was a torn plastic sheet hanging from a tree.

A rusty metal can sat beside a fire pit.

Someone had been there recently.

I searched around the campsite.

Then I found a backpack.

It was old and covered in mud.

I opened it.

Inside was an empty water bottle, some rotten food packaging, and a flashlight that didn't work.

Nothing else.

I remember standing there wondering why someone had abandoned it.

Then I noticed the footprints.

They continued into the forest.

I followed them.

Maybe the person had found a road.

Maybe they knew the way out.

After about twenty minutes, the footprints disappeared.

I was alone again.

The afternoon passed quickly.

Then the rain started.

At first it was light.

Then it became heavy.

Within minutes, I was soaked.

My fire went out.

The temperature dropped.

I found a rocky overhang and crawled underneath it.

I was exhausted.

Cold.

Hungry.

My ankle was swollen.

I turned on my phone.

8%.

No signal.

I stared at the screen for a long time.

Then I heard barking.

Close.

Very close.

I switched off the phone.

I didn't want the light to give away my position.

The barking continued.

I could hear movement.

Leaves rustling.

Branches breaking.

Then I saw two eyes reflecting faintly in the darkness.

A dog.

It stood about thirty feet away.

I didn't move.

The animal stared at me.

Then another pair of eyes appeared behind it.

Then another.

The pack had found me.

I slowly reached for a burning branch from the remains of my fire.

The closest dog stepped forward.

I raised the branch.

It stopped.

For several seconds, neither of us moved.

Then thunder exploded overhead.

The dogs suddenly turned and disappeared into the forest.

I didn't know why.

I didn't care.

I stayed awake until morning.

When daylight finally came, I knew I couldn't stay there.

I had to find a road.

I packed what little I had left and started climbing.

The higher I went, the thinner the trees became.

Then I saw something through the branches.

A straight line.

At first, I thought it was another trail.

Then I realized it was a road.

I almost cried.

I started walking toward it.

But my ankle was getting worse.

Every step sent pain through my leg.

I eventually had to use a branch as a walking stick.

It took nearly two hours.

Finally, I reached the road.

There were no cars.

No houses.

Nothing.

But it was a road.

I followed it.

After another hour, I heard an engine.

I stepped into the middle of the road and waved both arms.

A pickup truck stopped.

The driver looked shocked when he saw me.

I climbed inside.

The first thing I said was:

"Please don't leave me here."

He drove me to the nearest town.

At the hospital, they treated my ankle and dehydration.

Later, I learned that search teams had been looking for me.

My friend had reported me missing when I didn't return.

They had searched the main hiking trails.

But nobody knew that I had run into the forest.

Nobody knew about the dogs.

Nobody knew exactly where I had gone.

When I finally looked at my phone, I saw the last message I had tried to send before the battery died.

It had never gone through.

Just two words.

**"I'm lost."**

I still hike.

And I never leave a marked trail without telling someone exactly where I'm going.

Because the most frightening thing I learned in those woods wasn't about wild dogs.

It wasn't the darkness.

It wasn't even being alone.

It was realizing how quickly you can disappear.

One minute you're walking through the forest thinking about dinner.

The next minute you're running for your life.

And when you finally stop running...

you may have no idea where you are.

No signal.

No road.

No one who knows where to look.

Just trees.

Endless trees.

And somewhere out there in the darkness...

something may be listening.




"30 Days":

The river, Not the gentle kind that soothes you to sleep. The kind that never stops talking. That cold, constant rush that fills every empty space in your head until you can’t tell if the sound is outside or inside your skull.

It started on July 31st. Just a run. Twenty miles. Me and Freddy, my chocolate lab. I’d done longer. I knew these trails. Or I thought I did.

I parked at Hannegan Pass trailhead in the North Cascades. Windows down. Wallet on the dash. Day pack with almost nothing in it—shorts, no shirt, a dog bowl, and an old map. Phone fully charged. Confidence higher than it should have been.

The trail was gone.

Wildfires had chewed through this place a couple years earlier. What used to be a clear path was now a tangle of blackened trunks, new growth, and deadfall that forced me higher and deeper than I planned. I kept thinking the next ridge would put me back on familiar ground. It never did.

By the second day the phone was dead. No signal long before that. Just that blank screen staring back at me like it knew something I didn’t.

On the third day I looked at Freddy and said, “Go home, buddy.” He hesitated. Then he turned and disappeared into the trees. I told myself he’d make it. I needed to believe someone would know I was still out here.

I found the bear dens later. Old nesting hollows in the undergrowth, soft with years of packed needles and fur. I crawled into one like an animal. It smelled of damp earth and something older. Something that had lived there before me and might come back. I stayed anyway. The alternative was lying fully exposed under a sky that felt too big and too empty.

Berries were sour and sparse. One day I found a single large mushroom. I ate the whole thing over hours. It tasted ordinary, almost like something from a pizza. I didn’t care if it was poison. Hunger makes you reckless in ways you never expect.

Nights were the worst.

The cold came down like a living thing. It crawled under my skin and nested in my bones. I hyperventilated just to generate heat. My backpack was the only barrier between me and the ground. I never slept through. Every snap of a branch, every distant crash in the underbrush, every shift of wind made my heart hammer so hard I thought it might give out.

I shouted until my voice cracked and then kept shouting into the dark. Nothing answered. Not even an echo. The forest swallowed sound the way it swallowed light.

Twice I saw helicopters. Twice I stood on shaking legs and screamed until my throat bled. They never turned. Never circled. Just passed over and left me smaller than before.

Time stopped meaning anything. Days bled together. I lost track of how long I’d been without real food. My body began eating itself. Muscle melted. Skin hung loose. My feet were torn and swollen. Shoes gone—washed away when I tried to drink from the river. I crawled more than I walked.

I thought about dying a lot. Not in a dramatic way. Just the quiet acceptance that this might be how it ends. Alone. Unfound. Bones picked clean by whatever finds you first in these woods.

By the end I was on the rocky bank of the Chilliwack River. Eleven miles from the trailhead. Half a mile from a horse ford that people sometimes used. Close enough that help could have found me weeks earlier if the forest hadn’t hidden me so well.

I couldn’t move my legs anymore. Dysentery had taken the last of my strength. I sat there naked, funneling river water into my mouth with my hands, watching the sun drop. Night was coming again. I knew I wouldn’t survive another one.

So I did the only thing left.

I screamed.

One last time. Everything I had left in a single word.

“Help!”

Silence.

Then voices. Real ones. Human ones. Members of a trail crew returning to camp. They heard me. One of them took the shirt off his back and put it on me. That shirt felt like the first real warmth I’d known in a month.

They carried me out. Helicopter. Hospital. A month of recovery. Fifty pounds gone. Years taken off my life, or so it felt.

Freddy had been found days after I sent him away. My mother never stopped believing I was alive, even when the searches wound down and most people assumed the worst.

I survived. That’s the part people like to hear.

What they don’t ask about is the part that still lives in me.

The nights when the cold was so complete it felt personal. The way the forest never once felt empty, even when I was the only human for miles. The certainty, for long stretches, that no one was coming and that the river would keep talking long after I stopped listening.

I still don’t go back to those trails.

Some places don’t just get you lost.

They keep a piece of you when you finally leave. 



"No Signal":

The trailhead parking lot was empty when I arrived just that after noon. Perfect.

The first hour felt good. Birds called. Leaves rustled in a light breeze. I checked my phone once out of habit and saw the bars drop from two to one, then to the empty triangle. No service.

I kept walking.

Somewhere past the two-mile mark I heard it.

A voice. Thin. Distant. Coming from somewhere off the trail to my right.

“Help me.”

I stopped. Listened hard. The forest was quiet except for the usual small sounds. Then it came again, a little clearer.

“Help me.”

It sounded like a man. Or maybe a woman. Hard to tell through the trees. Someone must have gotten hurt or lost. I stepped off the trail without thinking. The underbrush was thick, but the voice kept calling at irregular intervals, always from the same general direction. I pushed through ferns and low branches, calling back.

“I’m coming! Where are you?”

No answer. Just the same flat “Help me” a minute later, a little farther ahead.

I followed it for what felt like twenty minutes. The ground sloped down into a shallow ravine, then climbed again. The light under the canopy grew dimmer. I kept expecting to see someone—a figure leaning against a tree, or lying on the ground. Nothing. The voice continued, always just out of reach, always the same two words. Sometimes it seemed closer. Sometimes it drifted left or right.

Then it stopped.

I stood still for a long time, listening. Only the drip of water from high branches and the faint creak of wood. I turned around to go back the way I had come.

That was when I realized I had no idea which way that was.

Every direction looked the same. Trees pressed close. No broken branches I could be sure were mine. No clear slope that matched what I remembered. The trail was gone. I pulled out my phone. Still no signal. GPS showed a blank map with a single blue dot that refused to move. I tried to retrace carefully, counting paces, looking for any sign of the path I had left. Nothing. The forest had closed behind me.

Panic is quiet at first. It starts in the chest, a tight pressure, then spreads to the hands. Mine started shaking as I forced myself to stop and think. Stay put. That’s the rule. Make noise. Wait for someone. But there was no one. The parking lot had been empty. No one knew exactly where I was. And the voice that had led me here was silent now.

I shouted. The sound died almost immediately, absorbed by the thick trees and moss. I tried again. Louder. Nothing came back except the faint echo of my own voice.

The light began to change. Afternoon shifted toward evening faster than I expected under the canopy. Shadows lengthened. The temperature dropped. I put on the light jacket and kept moving, hoping to find higher ground or an open patch where a signal might reach. Every step felt wrong. Roots caught my boots. Branches snagged my sleeves. Once I stumbled into a shallow depression filled with rotting leaves and the smell of wet earth rose up strong and sour.

Night came hard.

When the last gray light faded, the forest changed. The birds stopped. The breeze died. What remained was a heavy, close silence broken only by small sounds that seemed too near: a soft crack somewhere to my left, a rustle behind me, the faint skitter of something small in the leaves. I told myself it was normal. Squirrels. Deer. Night animals doing night animal things. But the dark made every sound feel deliberate. And every time a branch snapped, part of me waited for that voice to start again.

I found a large fallen log and sat with my back against it, knees pulled up. My phone flashlight drained the battery in under an hour. After that I sat in complete black. I could not see my hand in front of my face. The cold settled into my clothes and then into my skin. I ate one energy bar slowly, saving the other. Water was half gone.

Sometime deep in the night I heard heavier movement. Not the light rustle of a small animal. Something larger. Branches snapped in a slow, measured way. It circled somewhere out beyond the range of what I could see. I held still, barely breathing. The sound stopped. Then, after a long pause, it moved again—closer this time. I pressed myself tighter against the log. My heart hammered so hard I was sure whatever it was could hear it.

It never came into the open. After what felt like hours the sounds faded. I stayed awake the rest of the night, listening to every creak of wood and every distant call of an owl that somehow made the silence worse when it stopped. Once, just before dawn, I thought I heard the voice again—soft, almost a whisper. “Help me.” I didn’t answer. I didn’t move.

Dawn arrived slowly, gray and damp. Mist hung low between the trunks. My body ached from the cold and the hard ground. I stood carefully, joints stiff, and began walking again. Direction no longer mattered as much as movement. Sitting still felt like giving up.

By midday I found a thin stream. The water was cold and tasted of leaves and mineral, but I drank carefully. I filled the bottle. My remaining energy bar was gone by late afternoon. Hunger started as a dull ache and grew sharper. My legs felt heavy. Every slope looked the same.

That second night was worse.

The temperature dropped lower. I built a crude shelter of fallen branches against another log, but it did little against the damp. Sleep came in short, broken pieces. Each time I closed my eyes I snapped awake to some new sound: a branch falling, the sudden flap of wings close overhead, something large shifting weight in the dark. Once I was certain I heard breathing that was not my own. Slow. Steady. Close. I lay frozen until the feeling passed, but the certainty that something had been near stayed with me. And underneath it all was the memory of that voice, and the knowledge that I had followed it willingly into this place.

On the third day I stopped checking the phone. The battery was long dead. My voice was hoarse from calling out. The forest felt endless. Trees pressed in. The ground rose and fell without pattern. At one point I found old boot prints in a patch of mud and followed them with sudden hope, only to realize after twenty minutes that they were my own, circling back on themselves.

That afternoon I heard something that nearly broke me: the distant, mechanical thump of a helicopter. I stumbled toward the sound, shouting, waving my arms in the thick undergrowth even though I could not see the sky. The sound grew louder, passed almost directly overhead, then faded. It never returned. The silence that followed felt absolute.

I kept walking until my legs simply stopped cooperating. I sat against a tree as the light failed again. My thoughts had grown strange and slow. I thought about how easy it would be to just stop. To close my eyes and let the cold finish what the forest had started. The idea frightened me more than the dark.

I do not remember falling asleep that night. I only remember waking to the sound of voices.

Real voices. Human. Calling a name that was not mine, but close enough that I answered. Lights moved between the trees. Men in bright jackets. Dogs. The beam of a flashlight found me where I sat, filthy and shaking, barely able to stand.

They had been searching for two days after someone noticed my car still in the lot. The helicopter had been part of the effort. I had been less than a mile from a logging road the entire last day and never known it.

They carried me out. At the hospital they treated me for mild hypothermia, dehydration, and exhaustion. Nothing dramatic. No broken bones. No animal attack. Just the quiet, grinding terror of being alone in a place that does not care whether you live or die, with no signal and no one coming until luck or persistence finally intervenes.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post