"Fresh Cut":
I keep the radio on low when I’m alone out here. Not for the music. For the voices. Anything human, even static and commercials, keeps the dark from getting too complete.
That night the radio was the only thing working right.
I’d been up since four marking the south boundary. Three hundred acres of mixed hardwood and pine, most of it steep enough that the loggers never wanted it cheap. My place sits at the end of a private spur that turns to mud six months of the year. The county map still shows it as a dotted line. Cell service is a rumor. The nearest deputy is forty minutes if the road is dry and he’s already in the car.
Around dusk I found the first cut. A clean twelve-inch pine, limbed and left where it fell. Fresh sawdust. Then another. Then a skid trail that hadn’t been there the week before. Someone had been working the back corner hard and quiet. I followed the trail until the light got thin, then turned for home. The dogs stayed close. That should have told me something.
I reached the cabin just as the last blue left the sky. Unloaded the saw, fed the dogs, checked the generator. Everything normal except the feeling that the trees were standing closer than usual. I locked both doors, propped the shotgun by the bed, and turned the radio on. Some talk show out of the valley. People arguing about things that didn’t matter. I let it run.
A little after eleven the dogs went quiet in that wrong way. Not asleep. Listening.
I killed the radio and sat up. Outside, nothing. Then the soft metallic click of a gate latch that I keep chained. I don’t have a gate that clicks like that. I have a chain and a padlock.
I moved to the window without turning on a light. The moon was behind cloud. I could just make out the shape of my truck and the darker shape of the woods beyond it. For a long time nothing moved. Then a red coal glowed and died near the edge of the porch light’s reach. Cigarette. Someone standing still enough that the dogs hadn’t lost their minds yet.
I chambered a round. The sound was loud inside the cabin. Outside, the coal vanished.
A voice, not loud, almost friendly.
“We know you’re awake. We’re not here for the house. Just the timber we already cut. You walk out, hands empty, and we finish loading. Nobody has to get stupid.”
I didn’t answer.
Another voice, farther left. Younger. “She’s alone. Cameras showed one person all week.”
They had been watching the place. Long enough to know my patterns.
The porch boards creaked. I stepped back from the window and put my shoulder to the wall beside the door. The handle turned once, slow. Locked. A pause. Then the sound of something heavy testing the frame.
I fired through the door at chest height.
The blast flattened everything. My ears rang so hard I couldn’t hear the dogs for several seconds. Outside someone shouted—a real shout, pain or surprise—and boots hammered away across the porch and into the gravel. I racked another round and waited for the answering shots.
They came as two quick cracks from the tree line, high, punching through the roof boards. Not aimed. Warning, or panic. Then silence again, thicker than before.
I stayed on the floor until my hearing came back in pieces. The generator still hummed. The dogs had moved to the back room. I crawled to the kitchen window that faces the spur road and looked out through the gap in the curtain. Two figures half-carrying a third toward the dark. A fourth covering them with a long gun. They reached the trees and disappeared.
I didn’t go outside until first light. Blood on the porch steps, already dark. Spent casings in the yard. The cut trees still lying where they had left them, but the skid trail showed fresh tire marks leading out the back way, the old spur that connects to the county track three miles down if you know where the washouts are.
I sat on the steps with the shotgun across my knees and waited for the satellite phone to find a signal. When it did I called it in. The deputies arrived late morning. They photographed everything, bagged the casings, and told me the same thing they tell everyone out here: timber crews have been getting bolder, some of them armed, some of them not interested in being told no. They asked if I wanted to file the report. I did.
They never found them. The blood trail ended at the spur. The vehicle that left those tracks was never identified. I hired a legitimate logger to take the already-cut trees so the money wouldn’t sit there like bait. I replaced the door. I patched the roof.
"Loud and Clear":
I ain’t much for writing things down. Never was. But the sheriff’s investigator said it might help if I put it in order, so here it is the way it happened, the way it still sits in my chest when the wind comes up wrong.
I’m the caretaker for the old Jensen timber tracts. Four hundred and twenty acres of mixed pine and hardwood up a long gravel spur that the county forgot years ago. The Jensens live downstate and only come up twice a year. The rest of the time it’s just me, the dogs, and the radio that only works if you stand in the exact right spot by the window. I keep the roads clear, watch the boundaries, and make sure nobody cuts what don’t belong to them. Simple work. Quiet work. Until it wasn’t.
It started with the dogs.
Both of them—Rango and Bess—went rigid around ten that night. Not the usual deer-in-the-draw bark. The low, continuous one that means something is wrong and close. I stepped out onto the porch of the little metal-roof cabin the Jensens let me use. The night was thick and still, the kind where every sound carries. From the north ridge I heard it: the dull, wet thunk of an axe into soft wood, then another, then the rattle of a chainsaw that somebody was trying to keep quiet by running it in short bursts.
Nobody had permission to be up there. Nobody ever did.
I took the pump shotgun and the big Maglite and started walking. Didn’t radio it in yet. Signal was garbage and I figured it was probably just some local boys cutting a Christmas tree early or looking for firewood. I was wrong.
The light from their work showed through the trees before I got close. Three men. Two young, one older with a gut and a beard that looked like it had never met a razor. They had a small generator running under a tarp and were sectioning a big yellow poplar that had no business being cut. Beside the tree was a second one already on the ground. Their truck—an old dually with the bed half full of cut lengths—was parked nose-out on the old fire trail like they planned on leaving fast.
I stayed in the dark and watched long enough to see the rifles. One leaned against the truck. Another was slung across the older man’s back. The third man kept a pistol in a shoulder holster while he worked the saw. These weren’t kids. These were men who expected trouble and were ready to answer it.
I stepped out of the trees and called out the way you’re supposed to. Loud. Clear. Identifying myself as the caretaker and telling them they were on private land and needed to shut it down and leave.
The saw died. For three long seconds nobody moved. Then the older man turned the beam of his headlamp full on my face and said, real calm, “You’re a long way from any help, friend.”
I told him again to leave. He took one step closer. The two younger ones spread out a little, the way men do when they’re thinking about angles. One of them had already picked up the rifle by the truck.
I backed up. Slow. Keeping the shotgun low but ready. I told them the owners would press charges and that the sheriff knew I was out here. That last part was a lie. The older man smiled like he knew it.
“You got about ten seconds to turn around and forget you saw anything,” he said. “After that we start solving problems permanent.”
I turned and walked. Not ran. Walking keeps you from looking like prey. Behind me I heard the older one tell somebody to “make sure.” Footsteps started after me almost immediately.
I cut hard left into the thicker stuff, the second-growth that hadn’t been thinned in twenty years. Branches clawed at my jacket. The flashlight stayed off. I moved by feel and the faint gray of the sky through the canopy. Behind me a light stabbed through the trees, then another. They weren’t calling out. They weren’t offering chances. They were just coming.
A shot cracked somewhere behind and to the right. High. Meant to make me flinch and give away my position. I dropped into a dry creek bed and stayed there, breathing through my mouth so they wouldn’t hear the shake in it. Boots passed twenty yards above me. One of them muttered that I couldn’t have gone far. Another said they should just burn the cabin and be done. The older voice told them to shut up and keep looking.
I stayed in that creek bed longer than I care to admit. Long enough for the cold to work into my knees and for every small sound in the woods to become a footstep. When I finally moved again it was downstream, away from the cabin, toward the county road that was still two hard miles off. Twice I heard them circling back toward the cut site. Once a light swept across the bank above me and I pressed my face into the mud and waited for the shout that never came.
I reached the road just before first light. A logger I knew by sight was heading in early and damn near ran me over. He took one look at the mud and the shotgun and the way I was breathing and didn’t ask many questions. Just turned around and drove me to the store where the phone worked.
Deputies found the cut trees and the tire tracks and a couple of shell casings. The truck was gone. No one was there. Later they matched some of the wood to a small mill that asked fewer questions than it should have. Two arrests. The older man was not among them. The detective said men like that usually surface again somewhere else, working the same kind of job on somebody else’s land.
I still work the Jensen tracts. The dogs still sleep at the foot of the bed. But I don’t walk the north ridge after dark anymore, and every time a chainsaw starts up in the distance I feel that same cold settle in my stomach. The woods are big. The law is slow. And some men decide real quick that a witness is just another problem to solve permanent.
That’s all of it. I’m still here. That’s the only part that matters.
"The Day Trip":
The tracts were only supposed to be a day trip—walk the eastern boundary, mark the blowdowns from the last storm, count the residual pines the loggers left standing. Forty minutes of gravel, then the locked gate, then the long walk in under the second-growth canopy. I’d done it a hundred times. Always daylight. Always back to the truck before the light went blue.
But the truck wouldn’t start when I reached it at four-thirty. Battery dead. No signal. The nearest house was nine miles of bad road and I had one bottle of water and a half-eaten sandwich. So I turned around and walked back to the old line shack that sits near the center of the property. Four walls, a tin roof, a woodstove that still drew, and a cot I’d left there years ago for exactly this kind of failure.
I told myself it was fine. One night. The dogs were home. No one knew I was out here.
The dark came down harder than I expected.
I built a small fire in the stove, kept the door cracked for air, and sat with my back to the wall listening to the woods settle. Every forest has its own night language. This one usually spoke in the soft collapse of needles, the distant cough of a deer, the long silence between. That night the silences were wrong. They stretched too far. Then something would move—close, deliberate—and stop the moment I held my breath.
Around midnight I heard the first cut of a saw.
Not a chainsaw. A hand saw. Slow, wet strokes. The kind of sound that doesn’t carry far unless you’re already inside the same hollow. I killed the stove draft so the fire died to coals and stepped outside without a light. The air was cold enough to hurt the lungs. I stood still until my eyes adjusted.
A pale glow showed through the trees to the northwest, maybe three hundred yards. Not a campfire. A headlamp, shielded, moving low. Then another. Two people working something on the ground. The saw kept going in short, careful pulls.
I knew what it was before I got close enough to see. Old-growth maple. The figured kind that brings real money. Someone had been watching the tracts long enough to know which trees were worth the risk.
I should have gone back to the shack and waited for morning. Instead I moved closer, using the same routes I walked in daylight, staying off the leaf litter where I could. The closer I got the clearer the voices became. Two men. One older, one younger. They weren’t whispering. They were talking like the land belonged to them.
“…take the butt section tonight, come back for the rest when the moon’s gone.”
“You sure nobody’s on this side?”
“Gates locked. Tracks are old. We’re good.”
I was twenty yards away, crouched behind a blowdown, when the younger one straightened and turned his headlamp directly toward me. The beam hit the bark above my head and stopped.
Neither of us spoke for a long time.
Then the older one said, almost gently, “Come on out. Slow.”
I stood. Both of them had rifles. Not hunting rifles. Something shorter, black, the kind that doesn’t look like it belongs in a timber stand. The younger one kept the light on my chest. The older one didn’t raise his weapon. He just looked at me the way you look at a problem that appeared in the wrong place.
“You the owner?” he asked.
I nodded.
He made a small sound that might have been a laugh. “Bad night to check your trees.”
The younger one shifted his weight. “What do we do with him?”
The older one studied me a while longer. “Depends. You got a phone that works out here?”
“No.”
“Anybody expecting you back tonight?”
“No.”
He nodded like that settled something. “Then you walk with us. Quiet. We’re almost finished.”
They didn’t bind me. They didn’t need to. The rifles and the dark and the nine miles of empty road did the work. I walked between them while they finished sectioning the maple. The saw kept its slow, wet rhythm. Every few minutes one of them would glance at me to make sure I was still there. I was. My legs felt disconnected from the rest of me.
When the last pieces were loaded onto a small wheeled cart they had hidden in the brush, the older one turned the headlamp on my face again.
“Here’s how this goes,” he said. “You sit in that shack until morning. You don’t light a fire. You don’t walk out to the road. At first light you go home and you forget the next three days. After that the wood is gone and so are we. You file a report, they’ll never find us, and next time we come we won’t be as polite.”
The younger one added, “Or we can end it here. Your choice.”
I chose the shack.
They walked me back, waited while I stepped inside, and closed the door. I heard them move away through the leaves. Then the cart wheels. Then nothing.
I sat on the cot in the complete dark and listened to my own pulse. Every small sound outside became boots. Every shift of the tin roof became a hand on the latch. I did not sleep. I counted the hours by the cold that crept in through the walls.
At first light I walked out to the road. The truck still wouldn’t start. I walked the nine miles.
The deputies took the report. They found the stump, the sawdust, the cart tracks that disappeared onto an old skid trail. No fingerprints that mattered. No tire impressions deep enough to cast. The two men were never identified.
I still own the tracts. I still walk the boundaries in daylight. But I do not stay after the light goes blue.
"The Draw":
It was late November, three years ago. I had bought the timber tracts the spring before—one hundred eighty acres of mixed fir and cedar up a long gravel spur that left the county road and climbed into country that did not care if you lived or died. No power. No neighbors for miles. I went up alone most weekends that fall to walk the lines and mark the better trees. I told myself I was learning the land. Mostly I was trying to remember how to be alone without the noise of other people.
That weekend I took the wall tent instead of driving back the same night. I set it in a small opening just off an old skid road, well inside the painted boundaries. The weather had turned cold and clear. The kind of cold that makes every sound travel farther than it should.
I banked a small fire, ate, and crawled into the bag early. The rifle stayed by the door of the tent, the way it always did. Habit more than fear.
I woke to the sound of a chainsaw.
Not continuous. Short, careful bursts. Far at first, then closer. Voices carried on the still air—men’s voices, low, arguing about something. I lay rigid and listened. The saw started again, closer still. Gasoline and cut wood smelled sharp in the cold.
I dressed in the dark without a light. Boots. Coat. The rifle. I left the tent and moved toward the sound, keeping to the black spaces between the trunks. My breath fogged and disappeared. Every step on the frozen needles sounded too loud.
I found them working a stand of cedar I had flagged the day before. Three men that I could see. Headlamps. One of them had a rifle slung across his chest. Another kept looking back toward the darker timber the way a man looks when he expects company. Their truck sat farther down the slope, lights off, winch cable already run out toward a half-fallen tree.
I stayed in cover and watched. I wanted plate numbers. Faces. Something I could take to the sheriff on Monday. I stayed too long.
One of them said, clear in the cold, “Check the road again.” A light swung in a wide arc. The beam passed close enough that I felt the white edge of it on my cheek. I did not move.
A dog I had not seen began to bark. Low at first, then rising. It came through the undergrowth in my direction, nose working.
I took one careful step back. The branch under my boot snapped like a shot.
Everything stopped.
The dog kept barking. The men went quiet. Then one of them said, not loud, “Someone’s watching.”
Lights came on. All of them. The rifle came off the sling. They started moving toward the place where the sound had been.
I turned and went into the thicker timber as quietly as I could. Not running. Running makes noise. I kept the rifle across my chest and used the dark the way they were using their lights. Behind me I heard them calling to each other in short, flat voices. Not shouting. Searching.
They spread out. I could track them by the beams and the sound of boots on frozen ground. One of them passed close enough that I smelled the tobacco on his coat. He stopped. Listened. Moved on.
I kept going until the ground fell away into a steep draw choked with old blowdown. I crawled under a tangle of dead cedar and went still. The space was barely large enough for a body. Bark and ice pressed into my back. My breath sounded like an animal dying.
They came into the draw. I heard the dog again, closer. Someone said they should just finish the load and get out. Someone else said if there was a witness they needed to know who it was. The word “handle” was used. Quietly.
I did not move for a long time. The cold worked its way through the coat and into the muscle. My hands locked around the rifle until the fingers went numb. Every small sound in the woods became a bootstep. Every shift of wind became a voice.
After what felt like hours the saws started again, farther off. Then the winch. Then truck doors. An engine turned over, idled, and finally moved away down the old road. The dog barked once more in the distance and went quiet.
I stayed under the blowdown until the sky began to pale. When I finally crawled out, my legs would not work right at first. I took a long route back to the tent, listening the whole way. The clearing was empty. The fire ring was cold. Nothing had been touched that I could see, but the feeling of being watched stayed on the skin.
I packed in the gray light, drove out with the headlights off until I reached the county road, and did not stop until the first place with a signal. I made the report. A deputy and a game warden came up later that week. They found the fresh cuts, the tire tracks, the spent oil on the ground. No one was ever charged. No names ever surfaced.
I sold the tracts the following spring. I have not been back.